Friday, December 14, 2012

The Christmas Tree

Finding the ultimate Christmas tree was of particular interest to me one Christmas. I had decided that I would put my creative juices to work and create the ultimate Christmas tree experience.  Ben was probably 10 or so, if I remember right.

We live in the middle of the woods, so finding a tree wasn't going to be hard. I decided that I didn't want just any old tree. So, I cut down a small sweet gum tree.   I spray painted it white and strung white lights all over it. I wrapped it in white tool and carefully placed white snowflakes all over it. I set it up without any guidance or direction from anyone because I wanted to surprise Rick and Ben with this new and lovely white Christmas tree creation.

I had it all set up and lights turned on and ready for that 'ah ha'  moment when we would all gasp at it's loveliness.

Ben entered the room first and just looked at it and didn't say a word.  Rick entered the room and didn't notice it at all. And if you know anything about Rick, you know this was not uncommon.  So, I had to bring it to his attention.  "So, what do you think about our tree?" There was a long pause as Rick studied it. And then he said, "What the hell is that?"

My ego was deflated. "It's our Christmas tree. What do you think it is?" I said.

I can't write what he said at this point but needless to say, he didn't think much of it. I thought I had created a masterpiece and he thought it was the tackiest thing he had ever seen.

It was too close to Christmas to start over. So, we lived with our tacky Christmas tree and around the end of December, we added it to our outdoor fire pit. ....never to be seen or enjoyed again. 

We have laughed about that tree. While Rick and Ben may not have enjoyed the 'true beauty' of it, we have enjoyed the memory of it and our individual memories of it's beauty or lack thereof.

I guess it's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  And I say I am the artist and what do they know! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Merry Christmas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment