Sunday, January 1, 2012

Marjorie Broussard Remembered

“Take care of my granddaughter. She’s going to need your support,” was one of Marjorie (Margie) Broussard's last requests.  Margie was always thinking of everyone else.  When Rick’s mother, Margie, was sent home from the hospital to spend her last days at home, we all came to say our good byes. 
Margie was a wonderful mother-in-law.  She was so good to me.  The first time Rick took me to New Orleans to meet his parents, his mother immediately made me feel welcomed.  It didn’t take me long to realize that she and Rick had a very special relationship.  I can hear her voice now, “Rickey, whatcha want me to cook for you when you come down?”  Margie was a fabulous cook.  I remember spending one afternoon with her measuring and writing down all of the recipes she kept in her head.  We had such a wonderful afternoon cooking and laughing.  I later typed and printed all of her favorite recipes in a cookbook for all the family members.
Margie was diagnosed with Melanoma a few years before I met her.  They found a mole on her toe and the struggle to save her life included amputating her foot, then up to her ankle and then finally up to her knee.  She wore a prosthetic leg and wore it with such grace and humor.  She never let it get her down.  When Rick and I were married, we invited his Mom and Dad to join us on our honeymoon.  Now, I’m sure that most people would think that was very odd but for some strange reason, it sounded perfect for us.  She had always enjoyed Rickey (that was what she always called him) sharing his love for the Ozarks.  So, that is where we decided to go.  Our five day trip to the mountains would take us through Heber Springs, Mountain View and all the sights of the Ozarks.  We even took them to our favorite camping site in the middle of a 4,200 tract of land.  She didn’t let the mountains stop her.  She got out of the car and made her way down the mountain to an overlook.  She never complained and she never allowed us to help her. She was so independent and never wanted to burden anyone.
Rick and I were married about six months when I found out I was pregnant.  Rick’s mother was ecstatic. She immediately started crocheting animal toys and making blankets and getting ready for her third grandchild. Fanette Hodges hosted a baby shower for me right before Ben was born.  Margie made the trip from New Orleans to be there.  I was so happy to see her.  She didn’t tell me at the time that her cancer had returned.  I would learn this later.  Her doctor told her before she left to attend the baby shower that her melanoma had returned.  It would have been the fifth anniversary of her diagnosis.
After Ben was born, we spent many weekends in New Orleans.  On one of our trips, it became apparent that she was losing the fight.  She called each one of us into her bedroom to say good bye.  When it was my turn, I tried to stay strong but I didn’t need to because she was strong for both of us.  While I was lovingly stroking her arm while she was talking, she paused and said “Please honey, I love your touch but it’s really painful for anyone to touch me. “  The disease had made its way to her bones at this point. 
She told me how proud she was that Rick and I were together. She said she knew that we would be happy and that made her happy.  She said she regretted that she would not be alive to see Ben grow up but she knew that he would grow up to be a fine man.  She also shared with me that her long time prayer had been that Rickey would find someone who would love him for him.  Her prayer had been answered.
Her loving and caring nature included telling me that I needed to take care of her granddaughter because she was ‘special.’  I reassured her that I would and that I knew she was special. “No, I mean she is really special,” she said.  She looked at me and without saying another word; it was as if our minds were one.  I knew exactly what she meant.  Her granddaughter was gay.  We both knew it before Brenda did and before her parents would learn about it and try to come to terms with it. Brenda was a teenage at the time. I knew the first time I meet her that she was gay.  I had never spoke of it until that day in Margie’s bedroom.   
The years that would follow would include supporting Brenda.   As she struggled with her identity, so did her parents.  She finally decided to move to Arizona.  She worked as a park ranger at the Grand Canyon and sent home a video of her conducting a tour. I remember thinking to myself that Margie would have loved to have seen this. She would be so proud of her.   Brenda grew into a beautiful and talented young woman.  She is still dealing with who she is at times but aren’t we all? But her battle for acceptance is a little different than the rest of us.  I guess Margie knew that.  We love Brenda and her sweet and vivacious personality makes it hard not to love her.
Margie died in April of 1982. She was 65 years old. Ben was eleven months old.  Rick was with her when she took her last breathe.  She was buried next to her first born, Joseph Broussard, who had died at the age of 24 with the same disease.
Margie was always thinking of everyone else.  She was a perfectionist but she never demanded perfection.   She was so loving and tolerant and even when she knew her days were numbered, she spent the rest of her time thanking us for what we meant to her. 
Margie Broussard, we love you and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story Chris. Knowing what a fine fellow Rick is, I can only imagine what a great person Marjorie was.

    ReplyDelete