Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Hairy Situation



A grooming ritual turned into a nightmare one day.  I was looking in my hand-held mirror one morning expecting to pluck my eye brows as I have done for nearly half a century.  My mirror these days is a heavy duty magnifying mirror. With failing eye sight that comes with age, so comes the need for magnification.

I was plucking away when all of a sudden I noticed a really long hair.  I was surprised.  I knew that it had been a while since I plucked my eye brows.  But I know I would have noticed this long, renegade hair even in a regular mirror.  I took to grasping it with my tweezers and began to pull and pull and pull. While making ready to do the final pluck, I noticed that the feel of the tug wasn’t around my eye.  I began to follow the length of the hair to find its origin. 

To my surprise, I followed it to a mole growing on my cheek.  I wanted to scream.  “How the hell did this long-ass hair grow out of there?”   “Why didn’t I see this before now?”  Then my mind exploded with questions. “Oh my god, who else has seen this hair growing out of my mole?”  “How many people have I repulsed with this witchy-looking hair growing out of my face?”

Then I began to panic and paranoia set in.  Were there more?   I frantically moved my big heavy duty magnifying glass around my face searching for other renegade hairs.  The lonesome, long, mole hair was a wake- up call for me. Not that I didn’t know that there would be new challenges with age but I never expected to have to do watch duty on my face for witchy- looking mole hairs.  

So, while I keep a watchful eye on my new mole hairs, I am also diligent in my efforts to rid my face of other unwanted hairs growing out of other unlikely places.  It’s not pretty and it certainly doesn’t make you feel pretty. So, what to do?  I have opted to poke fun at myself and laugh.

Ah, the joys of aging. Gotta laugh or you’ll go crazy. 

1 comment:

  1. No worries! It's a part of life and you're plenty brave to put it out there. I'm starting to find the small ear hairs making their presence known. I'm sure it won't get any better from here on out. You really should call Guinness though. That one might set a record! JK! We all love ya'!

    ReplyDelete