Friday, September 6, 2013

Pick your fights. Pursue your passions.

Fumbling through life can be a real challenge at times. And I say 'fumbling' because that's what it felt like to me. While I feel pretty secure in my choices now. I can't say that I always knew what I would do with my life or what career path I would take.

But two philosophies that I have tried to adhere to was to pick my fights and pursue my passions. With so many issues and causes in the world, it's unrealistic to think you can crusade for all of them. Social issues have always found me and while I try hard to stay focused, it's easy to get distracted with other causes that you think you might be able to 'make a difference.'  I know I can't save the world but there are parts of it that I would certainly like to change. And I guess that's been the thing that has driven me to volunteer and spend so much time on projects and programs.that I believe put people in a better state of mind....or maybe it just puts me in a better state of mind.

Being in love with the arts and finding great satisfaction in being creative was an easy fit for me.  Finding a career that fit was not as easy. It wasn't until I found myself challenged to develop a creative atmosphere for my son  that I discovered skills I didn't know I had.  

Staying on track and keeping focused hasn't always been easy. My drive and my desire to keep moving has resulted in my running over a few people on occasion. I've often told people, especially when I'm 'on a mission,' that they can either help me or get out of my way. I guess some didn't get out of the way quick enough for me. I regret those casualties but they can't say they weren't warned.

Today my fight and my passion are one in the same. I am fighting  for a better public understanding of the value of the arts. I truly believe that creativity is a gift from our creator and  it's there for everyone to enjoy and experience. You just need to open the package.

1 comment:

  1. You've been a fighting soldier for the Arts for as long as I've known you and much longer before that. I have seen firsthand the many, many successes you've had and the ones that we can still physically see and enjoy for many years to come. You're one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete